Davide Santachiara makes some magical things to make me read
} After a small investigation I have found out that the cable that I would like to
interface to QPC2 via PC i/o port is a serial one so things should be much easier than
using a parallel port. The cable is meant to be connected to a serial port of a
printer so I suspect that there are some wires that should be exchanged in order to
connect it to a serial PC port.
}
} Any hint on that?
}

Yes, either configure your PC port as DCE (if you can, I'm afraid they do not support
that), or simply use a null modem cable instead of a straight-normal cable.

(Without handcheck, you just need to cross pin 2 and 3 of a DB25.
 For handcheck support, a complete information was provided in a email
 on this list this week already!)

Hopefully, you can open ser from QPC!