On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:40:48 -0800, James Hunkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Cleaning with an erasure, especially a pencil type (versus ink) can leave a different residue and doesn't always take away the material very well. It is best to use an actual electrical contact cleaner, usually found available in spray cans. Most electronic suppliers cell it or, if desperate, Radio Shack here in the states usually caries it.

The other issue that I have seen has to do with contact 'mismatch'. If you have tin plated type contacts (silver colored), it is best to use this on both the memory and the connector. Gold plated should also be mated with the same. This helps avoid some additional reaction that may happen.

By the way, a vertical stripe pattern would indicate to me (assuming that the video uses the system memory for the frame buffer) that there is most likely an address bit that is not making good contact. I suspect that the real contact cleaner may help this, since reseating the memory seems to help.

Nope there is dual ported VRAM on board not connected with the system ram

99.99% of the problem is caused by bad contacts on the SIMM sockets. Follow Tony's advise on cleaning them as he's the one that built yours so he knows which ones he used and how to clean them best.

The SIMM sockets are not gold plated in the old Q40s (I am not sure that they are in the new ones either... haven't seen the Q40i boards yet)

Phoebus
--
Visit the QL-FAQ at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/faq/> (Still uploading stuff!)
Visit the uQLX-win32 homepage at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/uqlx.html>