> From Tim's description, it sounds like the _video_ ram is the problem,
> and that is what I was talking about (hence the referral to SGC ram -
> where the chips have similar leg layout)
> They are recovered chips supplied by Peter, and they tend to make bad
> contact in the sockets.
> Certainly stripes on screen will be video ram.

This is exactly the problem I have with my Q40 (as Tony well knows as he has
reseated the Video RAMs for me on a number of occasions!) The last fix
lasted approx. 15 minutes and a subsequent fix I did myself had a similar
result.
It was not an inexpensive machine to buy and I haven't had enough use of it
to be able to afford to write it off just yet.  I was wondering if someone
might be able to come up with a permanent solution, e.g. removing the
sockets and soldering the RAMs in place; or maybe there are some spare chips
with longer pins (some of the pins on mine seem too short to be gripped
properly by the sockets); or perhaps creating a little piggyback Video RAM
board that could be plugged in somehow.  I'm keen to get the Q40 back into
full time service again.  Are those chips still available new?

Ian.