The first thing I do is replace every instance of "DEV" in menu_rext with ZZZ, thus avoiding this automatic replacement, which I just absolutely don't want.

I thought that the problems with total memory corruption somehow were connected to that. I have never seen this on win devices, nor ram devices, but haven't ever tested this extensively.

Yes, it is KNOWN for DEV devices but I remove it so that can't be the problem (or is it, Per?).

I had to remove DEV because the implementation is a fiddle, and
it led to all sorts of crashes (like the ones described).

It does not happen on "real level 2 directory devices", not on my
system, and from what I read so far, not on anybody elses.

Per was referring to WIN and RAM ... and I tried it the way
described and it worked fine - no directories listed, no crash.

Cheers Jochen