Never mind.

THe root of this problem turned out to be that I had added myself as a
user to the mail server and I had the auth modules in the wrong order
in my authdaemonrc config

So instead of "authldap authpam" I had "authpam authldap" therefore it
was taking my unix credentials over my ldap credentials.

Stupid, rookie mistake.

Sorry guys.