On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On 01-Feb-99 Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Actually, it isn't - it's a simple matter of more immediate
> > response. If my mail server has a problem, I fix it. If my ISPs mail
> > server has a problem, I have to call their support number, and they
> > then call a tech to fix the problem. I respect my ISP, but I can fix a
> > problem faster than they can get someone to look into one.
>
> And if you're out of town for a couple of weeks?  I'd be willing to bet
> your ISP could get to their problems quicker than you if you're gone.  The
> attraction to the ISP doing it is that there's a better chance of getting
> someone on the phone to fix something.

True - but that's why my ISP is listed as an MX for my systems.  They
have a timeout longer than any vacation I've taken in the last decade.
If I'm going to be gone for a very long time, I make - and sometimes
pay for - other arrangements, ranging from a house sitter who can do
some admin work, to paying my ISP to set up virtual domains to cover
the ones on my server.

After all, I sometimes cover for my ISP when their technical people
are unavailable - it's only fair that I get them to cover for me.

        <mike