Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> He means "use a different ISP's SMTP relay."  Yes, this means making
> arrangement.  Did you expect that stopping spam would be free?  Dan's
> proposed solution involves *paying* to send email.

I think Dan's mistake is right here:

   A long-term solution is to insist on prepayment for unauthorized
   resource use. The tricky technical problem is to make the
   prepayment enforcement mechanism cheaper than the expected cost of
   the attacks.                     ^^^^^^^

Perhaps it's a mistake to worry about the cost of enforcement, so long
as the cost of attacks is prohibitive. With filthy spammers corrupting
the virtue of _our_ internet, we should consider this a wartime
situation.

I for one would be glad to pay at least .37 US dollars per email, if
it helps to reduce spam. This, then, is my proposal:

  1. Pass US laws and international treaties replacing SMTP with an
     authenticating protocal. Through threat of fines and
     imprisonment, force adoption of the new protocol by a sufficient
     majority of providers. This will render SMTP impractical for
     widespread use, just as dialup-blocking threatens to render
     direct delivery infeasible.

     By explicitly outlawing SMTP, we can be fairly sure that a
     substitue protocal will not be adopted; to do so would require
     some sort of consensus. Even implementing SMTP on port 965 is not
     a great risk--too many people would prefer port 923, or 817.

  2. Impose penalties of fine and imprisonment on anyone who directly
     misuses the new authenticating protocal. Aim the penalties at
     ISP's and relay hosts; we already observe that they will be much
     more draconic at enforcement than any democratic government
     would dare.

  3. Empower local/federal governments to issue authentication tokens
     for the new protocal; these "email stamps" should cost at least
     10% more than snail postage purchased from the same authority.

Voila! Spammers will observe that postage is cheaper than an "email
token", and spam will be a thing of the past.

Len.

--
16. Do not Puff up the Cheeks, Loll not out the tongue rub the Hands,
or beard, thrust out the lips, or bite them or keep the Lips too open