On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Chris Green wrote:

> Demon Internet is exceptional in that it offers all its dial-up users
> a static IP address.  I think it's basically because it was one of the
> earliest ISPs and thus has the addresses available because it grabbed
> them early before they were hard to come by.

I don't know all the facts behind it but I believe there that the IP
registry in question (RIPE) will not prevent any ISP from giving static IP
to all it's customers, provided the ISP keeps all the relevant records.

Others may not provide them at all or may charge more because of this
'administrative overhead', but it isn't really a matter of IP addresses
being hard to come by.

--
Andy J. Smith ... <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ... <http://www.strugglers.net/andy>
Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP Key, or check the key servers ......

3) I don't sign parts of the body, even if they're still attached.
  -- Terry Pratchett, news://alt.fan.pratchett