On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 09:35:48PM -0500, J.P. Racine wrote:
> tcp        6      0 dns2:smtp               www.zone.com:1219       CLOSE
> tcp        6      0 dns2:smtp               www.zone.com:3030       CLOSE
> tcp        6      0 dns2:smtp               www.zone.com:1260       CLOSE
> tcp        6      0 dns2:smtp               www.zone.com:3106       CLOSE
> tcp        0     25 dns2:smtp               www.zone.com:1299
> ESTABLISHED
> tcp        0      0 dns2:smtp               www.zone.com:3181
> ESTABLISHED
>
>  This has been going on for about 5 days now and i've exausted every
> reasonable
> means at bringing attention to this issue with microsoft.  I've sent emails,
> telephone calls (left messages) and sent faxes.  Now I feel that something

Had the same problem starting last Friday.
I've sent mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and got a reply within 10
minutes. But it took them hours to stop it. In the meantime not
only one IP address that resolves to www.zone.com did the connects,
but anotherone jumped in. Had a connection rate of up to 10 per second.

I have then blocked them via tcpcontrol and patched tcpcontrol
(one line fix) to do a sleep(500) before exiting on a deny rule.
That kept the suckers busy and didn't stress the system as much as
the high connection frequency did. The problem was "solved" (?) about
36 hours after I reported it.

Symptoms where identical:
They did a MAIL TO: to a non existant local user, but the mail never
arrived in the queue, but the SMTP connection was hangup.
As it was Friday evening and I had better things to do, I didn't
investigate any further.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | In a world without
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] |   walls and fences,