YES, USE THE -c OPTION TO TCPSERVER.  The -b sets the backlog.  -c sets
the number of simultaneous TCP sessions that tcpserver will process.  You
have increased the backlog but have not increased the number of sessions
each server will accept.  The default is 40!

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Jere Cassidy wrote:

> What is wrong with the following setup:
>
> less than 30K customers:
>
> qmail 1.03 running on 3 high speed alpha's (each with 128MB ram)
> Running 4 TCPSERVER daemon processes.
>

> 1 SMTP (port 25)
> 1 POP3 (port 110)
> 1 SMTP (port 2001)
> 1 POP3 (port 2002)
>
> These 3 servers running these 4 daemons share a Netapp filer for backend
> storage.
>
> We have done major tuning to these servers time after time.  Here is the
> current situation:
> 3 of the daemons run fine.  the SMTP (on regular port 25) does not
> respond.
>
> I have set the -b option for TCPserver(this helped us immensely before)
> to 5000 (supposedly allowing tcpserver to respond to 5000 connections).
>
> Is there some default limit somewhere that would only allow tcpserver to
> pass so many connections to qmail-smtpd?  The downtime on the servers is
> getting rediculous because of this problem.
>
> If I run /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd it comes right up.
> If I telnet localhost 2002 (simply another instance of tcpserver) it
> comes right up.
> Both POP3 connections come right up
>
> If i do a "netstat -n|grep ":25 " I get almost 700 connections although
> most of these are in the "CLOSE WAIT" stage or something similar.
>
> On one of the servers, when this happens and qmail is totally
> unresponsive on port 25, the load drops to 0.00 and the server just sits
> there.
>
> restarting qmail seems to help for about 5 minutes... then the imaginary
> limit is hit and everything goes to hell.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for the current situation?
>

> --
>
> // Jere Cassidy  -  System Administration - D&E SuperNet
>         email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    phone: (717)738-7054
>         web: http://www.desupernet.net/jere
>         pager/pcs: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - (717)203-0042
> ~~~ "While sowing the seeds of Utopia,
>  you invoked a convenient amnesia" -BR ~~~

Timothy L. Mayo                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Manager
localconnect(sm)
http://www.localconnect.net/

The National Business Network Inc.      http://www.nb.net/