Doh!  I did not realize that this was the issue.  my esteemed co-worker
decided to start using the concurrency files in qmail/control and i assumed
these were the same. ( a really stupid assumption) I will set these up and
perform test on the servers.  Thanks Mark John and Tim.  I guess I really
should have rechecked the tcpserver man pages as you guys suggested! RTFM!

Thanks again.  If this doesn't work I am going to join my Luddite pals in
Canada!