On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Samuel Dries-Daffner wrote:

> We had the "other" vacation working under IRIX 5.3 but since we have moved
> to 6.5 it doesn't work. Our qmail config is the same, so I can't really
> say why it doesn't work. I have read both the IRIX (sendmail) vacation and
> the Peter Samuel vacation manuals, but can't make the old one work again.
>
> We have a sendmail wrapper that does this:
>
> ella 1# more /usr/lib/sendmail
> #!/bin/sh
> cat | /var/qmail/bin/predate /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
>
> ...and as stated (below) we were using preline like this:
>
> |preline vacation YourLogin
>
> Peter's vacation works great, but I am instructed to fix the "other"
> vacation (if possible)...any help would be appreciated :)

1) define "won't work" in the case of the sendmail style vacation. If
it's a case of vacation generating a reply for every message but mail
NOT being delivered to user's mailboxes (or subsequent .qmail
instructions failing) and your qmail log showing loads of

    deferral: preline:_fatal:_unable_to_copy_input:_broken_pipe/

then the problem cannot be fixed with that version of vacation. I've
said this before but I'll say it again

    If you use qmail's preline utility, remember that preline expects
    to pipe the _entire_ mail message through the specified program.
    If the specified program closes standard input before preline has
    finished, preline will exit with a transient failure and you'll see
    the following error in your logs:

        deferral:  preline:_fatal:_unable_to_copy_input:_broken_pipe/

THIS is the reason I wrote (modified) the qmail-vacation package.

Vacation programs written for sendmail style MTAs, close STDIN after
reading the headers. If the size of the message is bigger than your I/O
buffer then preline will bitch with the message above. vacation
programs written for sendmail style MTAs need a UUCP style "From "
header (not to be confused with an RFC822 "From:" header, note the
space vs colon). preline provides the necessary "From " header but it
demands that the downstream process swallow everything it has to
give.

If "won't work" is something else, then please let us know so we can
work on a solution.

2) Unless you have the source to the "other" vacation package, how are
you going to "fix" it. You have the source for preline, but changing
that will break programs that do the right thing. You could modify
preline and call it something else and remember to only use it for
sendmail style vacation like programs, but that's getting really
messy.

Use my perl program, or write your own in C if you don't want to use
perl, or use the experimental perl compiler that ships with
perl-5.005_02.

Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Consultant                        or at present:
Uniq Professional Services,                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
a division of X-Direct Pty Ltd
Phone: +61 2 9206 3410                      Fax: +61 2 9281 1301

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"