In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Paul Gregg wrote:

>> I don't believe qmail can deliver to hashed spools like this by default.
>>
>> I've just written a delivery script to deliver to hashed spools because I
>> needed it (gonna be *many* users).
>>
>> I nearly got it working with virtualdomains and users/assign with 26*26
>> entries, but it ment that I needed a virtualhosts entry for every
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> virtuall domain and each user was going to have one so it was not
>> practical and thus I wrote my own script as ~alias/.qmail-default.

> I think it can if you use the qmail-users mechanism

[snip]

> so i would expect running the file though a little perl script which
> replaces homedir with the hased spool directory will work (assuming the
> user has permissions to their hashed spool directory.)

> or have I missed the point of the question?

I think so ;-)

My point was that I wanted a default system so I didn't have to add anything
the qmail - If I don't want to add a virtualhosts entry per user then I'm
absolutely not going to want to add a users/assign entry (with associated
qmail-newu)

I had worked out that I could have 26*26 entries in users/assign to handle
hashed spools for all users:

+club24-co-uk-aa:popuser:400:400:/u/club24-co-uk/a/a:-:aa:
+club24-co-uk-ab:popuser:400:400:/u/club24-co-uk/a/b:-:ab:
+club24-co-uk-ac:popuser:400:400:/u/club24-co-uk/a/c:-:ac:
+club24-co-uk-ad:popuser:400:400:/u/club24-co-uk/a/d:-:ad:
+club24-co-uk-ae:popuser:400:400:/u/club24-co-uk/a/e:-:ae:

then I'd create a .qmail-username-default in /u/club24-co-uk/a/a delivering
to ./username/Maildir

But I had to add every virtual host individually - this I didn't want.

Now my perl script takes the email, calculates the HASH Maildir,
if it exists its delivered, if not it checks a MySQL database to see if we
want to accept email for this domain ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) is
accepted - if so, we create the Hashed Maildir and deliver the email.

The next time the Hashed dir will be there thus no MySQL lookup is needed.

Essentially I want to be adding a min of 1,000 user accounts per month
fully automatically without having to remotely connect to the mailserver
and setup their mail account.

It works perfectly :-)  Cept I can only hand 400 deliveries per minute
due to perl overhead. :-(

I'm currently splitting the MySQL auth stuff away from the program to minimise
the code in the maildirdeliver program which should mean greater throughput.

Paul.

PS. In case you're interested and cos I know you're in the UK - I'm launching
a Free ISP service ala Freeserve.
--
Email pgregg at tibus.net | Email pgregg at nyx.net    | Eight out of every
Technical Director        | System Administrator       | five people are math