Hi all,

i am settiup up a Communication-Server under SUSE Linux 6.0. For the
Email-Services i decided to take the great qmail.

I installed qmail and tested it locally within our LAN from a
Windows-Client to another office with a window client. And it works
veeeeeeery fine.

Now comes the story with the remote-mail in vicinity. As we use a
dialup-connection to our ISP to deliver and receive our internet-emails i
installed ucspi-tcp and serialmail. All compiled and checks successfully.

Now how to setup? I searched the FAQ, the man pages, the docfiles and at
last the qmail-mailing-list-archive. I found several RE:s to the same
question and followed a well written step by step solution to set up
serialmail to relay the mails until a ip-layer comes up.

Now the problem began:

i made a maildir for my outbound mail in the alias-dir of qmail named
"outbound" (Owner is alias / group is qmail).

Next i created a .qmail-outbound-default file (Same owner and group as the
maildir) with "./outbound" as its contents.

i set up a virtualdomains file in /var/qmail/control and insert a
"catchall-alias" as i want ALL outbound (not the localmaeil of course) mail
go to this maildir to deliver it later via "maildirsmtp".

My virtualdomainsfile looks like this:

---------TOF----------
:alias-outbound

---------EOF----------
(tried: :outbound too!)

Now comes the first test...Oops my mails dont appear in the "outbound"-dir.
Okay...lets try a reboot and restart qmail....

SURPRISE! qmail wont come up at startup!!! (I never changed the startup
files...so why?)...

Tried to start qmail manually...Sorry....NO QMAIL processes (no rspawn,
lspawn, clean a.s.o).

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Read all docs again...go through all again and again...

Last i noticed sth. strange...

If i move my virtualdomains file out of /var/qmail/control qmail comes up
when i start it manually and at startup of the system.

Moving the virtualdomains file back on its right place and qmail wont start
again. Tried it multi and ever the same effect. If qmail detects the
virtualdomains file it wont start. Without it local mail works well.

No i am at the end of my wisdom!
Please can s.o. help?
What do i wrong?
Is there a mistake in my virtualdomains file?
Any hint appreciated!

Please answer in the mailing list (i joined today) or direct email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I hope i explained my problem clearly to you. But if you need some more
detailed information to help me plz. dont hesitate to mail me.

Sorry! Im not a UNIX-Expert and my explanations may sound somehow funny or
lame to you but i tried my very best!

Thx. in advance very very much!

CYA
Joerg