I have a customer who is running Qmail 1.03.  They are having a lot of
bounce's when trying to deliver mail to a specific site.

Originating mail domain is 'renaissance.co.nz'. MX entry for
'renaissance.co.nz' points to 'mail.renaissance.co.nz' (202.97.88.10).
Outgoing mail through firewall reverse lookups to 'renaissance.co.nz'
(202.97.88.2).

Destination mail domain is 'eagle.co.nz'.  MX entry for eagle.co.nz resolves
to 'relay.eagle.co.nz' (202.36.45.1).

Whenever the 'renaissance.co.nz' qmail server tries to deliver mail to
'relay.eagle.co.nz' it logs the following error...

Connected to 202.36.45.1 but my name was rejected./Remote host said: 220
ESMTP tried here/

The SMTP server administrator at eagle.co.nz has contacted the customer
about the mail bounces and emailed him the following entries that appear in
their logs...

At Mon Mar 15 18:22:27 1999
call from renaissance.co.nz/203.97.88.2
220-relay ESMTP SMTP/smap Ready.
220 ESMTP tried here
HELO renaissance.co.nz
250 (renaissance.co.nz) pleased to meet you.
QUIT
221 Closing connection

It looks as if the Qmail machine is connecting, passing a HELO command and
then just QUITing.  Can anyone explain to me what is going on here?

Thanks,

Karl Lellman
Systems Consultant
Extranet Technologies Limited