I've read the page about etrn, and I think the author made some mistakes (at
least on his first page, I'm saying anything about the code).
Maildir2smtp does NOT require a seperate queue to be created: you just let
the mail be delivered at a normal mailbox, and when the person connects
using POP3, maildir2smtp starts delivering mail to that ip address.
This is a great advantage for when you're using dynamic ip addresses: you
don't always know which ip address a client gets.
This solution of etrn relies on the fact that all mail should stay in a
queue. But why? In a maildir, you've much more control about the size
(quota) and all, which I think is a feature many people appreciate. When
mails stay in the queue, it can grow beyond your control and crash your own
machine.