On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 12:10:31PM +0000, Petr Novotny wrote:

> That's one part of the truth. The rest is that for
> maildir/maildir2smtp you need to know _in advance_ for which domains
> you have this feature. ETRN is much more democratic - every domain
> for which you have the mail in queue can ask you to deliver it now.

With qmail's model, this can be a problem. If you are already delivering
messages at full concurrency, and then 3 or 4 domains send ETRNs around the
same time, they will be starved. qmail may not finish up existing
deliveries for quite a while, and these domains will have to wait until
then. That's why I maintain that ETRN in qmail is not the best way.

AutoTURN is much better, because each client gets their own process to send
them email, and the serialization isn't so bad, because modem connections
are slow anyway. Using maildirs gives many advantages too, like control
over size and filtering messages at the ISP to save downstream sites from
unwanted messages, especially for sites that have to pay for connect time
and volume.

--
System Administrator
See complete headers for address, homepage and phone numbers