On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 10:08:27AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 06:13:15PM -0500,
>   Scott Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > | But yes, it would consider these warnings as bounces.
> >
> > It also considers vacation messages to be bounces. :-(
>
> Vacation programs shouldn't be replying to lists.

Lists should also identify themselves as lists so vacation programs
don't reply to them.

On this list in particular, when you subscribe, the ezmlm confirmation
message doesn't include any of the magic cookies traditionally
associated with daemon messages (such as "Precedence: junk" or
"qmail-request").  My vacation program replied, and apparently that
was enough to confirm my subscription.  The confirmation process is a
sham if it can be fooled so easily by vacation programs and
autoresponders.

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce