"Scott D. Yelich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How many [rock solid, secure, fast, small, multi-use] programs does
> qmail have? I've lost count...  I have qmail, ezmlm, dotforward,
> accustamp, cyclog, tcp-env, tcpserver, setuser...

As a side note, I use accustamp, setuser, cyclog and tcpserver all the
time. Any boot-script I write uses them in preference to more
"standard" tools. And you did miss a few...

You missed supervise, which comes in the daemontools package with
accustamp. Thanks to supervise, writing flexible reliable daemons is a
snap. Thanks to accustamp, splogger and cyclog, interacting with the
system logger is cake. Thanks to tcpserver and tcp-env, building
internet services is a breeze.

Err, did you miss the point that modularity means flexibility? Those
many tools exist because of the many different tasks that need doing?

> Sure, it works...  eventually...  maybe.  It might be efficient (as
> long as you're not on a serial line?).

That's FAQ 2.4. RTFM.

> And, to top all of this off, the docs suck! I mean, it's not that
> qmail is bad, really, it isn't! It's the docs.

Terse != sucky.

Try this, when you have questions in the future:

  1. man qmail (Follow cross-references, including:)
     a. man qmail-start (addresses resource limits)
     b. man qmail-control (Indexes ALL control files. Follow references.)

  2. less /usr/doc/qmail/FAQ (better keep the FAQ somewhere...)

  3. lynx|netscape http://www-archive.ornl.gov:8000/ (Search the archive)

  4. lynx|netscape http://www.qmail.org/

> You can find a doc on sendwhale to do just about anything you need.

It's there for qmail; it's just not said twelve ways for every kind of
wizard and dummy, true...

> Besides, I can grok sendmail.cf -- I kinda like it.  I have often
> thought of writing an AI/Expert-System that uses many of its techniques.

Good idea. Make a mission-critical, 100% reliable, secure system using
those techniques. Good luck to you!

Len.

--
44. When a man does all he can though it Succeeds not well blame not
him that did it.