Chris Green writes:
> I have created a file .qmail-maxine.green in /var/qmail/alias with
> just 'maxine' in it but that doesn't seem to work.

There's a big warning about this in the dot-qmail man page. There's also
ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/qmail/faq/incominguser.html#alias-dots.

> It also seems a
> rather clumsy mechanism if I wanted to create a lot of aliases.

There are hooks for external alias mechanisms. You can use fastforward,
for example, if you prefer the /etc/aliases format.

> Should I be using
> the /var/qmail/users/assign file describe in qmail-users (but I don't
> have one at the moment).

You could set one up by putting

   maxine:maxine:maxine.green:

into users/mailnames, running qmail-pw2u, and running qmail-newu. You
could then remove your alias. This would make maxine.green-* addresses
work the same way as maxine-* addresses.

> What I would really like to do is arrange that all mail for  (regex)
> '.*maxine.*@isbd.demon.co.uk' would go to maxine, is there a simple
> way to do this?

You could insert something like

   |case "_$LOCAL_" in _*maxine*_) forward maxine; esac

at the top of your existing ~alias/.qmail-default.

---Dan