>Yes.  Sendmail was written for NT 0.01 pre-beta in 1979.  It was ported to
>UNIX by Bill Gates in 1981.

Okay, so it *was* intended to be a joke.  It didn't work for me, because
I have this notion (not sure how valid) that NT is supposed to be somebody's
effort to create for Microsoft an OS along the lines of VAX/VMS (I think
the person came out of Digital, perhaps an ex-VMS engineer, and I know
I have his name somewhere in my archives of Internet memorabilia somewhere).

So, when I see someone saying "it was written for NT a long time ago",
I don't see it as obviously funny -- it might just be somebody
misremembering VAX/VMS as Windows NT.

(It's been explained to me, in private email, that Sendmail was written
for BSD.  I'd always assumed it was originally targeted for some
variant of UNIX, but was *almost* gullible enough here to be convinced
it was originally written for VAX/VMS.  Which is, I suppose, kind of
funny anyway.)

>"Bill Gates? Isn't he the guy who invented the Internet, back in 1995?"

No, that was our (US) Vice President, Algore.

        tq vm, (burley)