On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 05:54:50PM -0600, Randy Cain wrote:
> However, we have a slight problem. We have between our email server and
> the Internet a firewall. Someone sent an email to a remote destination
> that has multiple MX records. The preference 10 machine does not accept
> a connection on port 25 for awhile, and it takes some time for the
> preference 20 machine to cycle in. However, since qmail has received a
> connection from the trusted side of the firewall, it thinks that the
> preference 10 machine has established a connection, yet it never
> receives a welcome greeting. Therefore, it puts the outbound message
> back in the queue for later delivery.
>
> I have had a significant exchange of email with the admin of the ISP
> that is hosting the domain. I started out suggesting that their DNS
> records where not correct, since the preference 10 machine NEVER
> answers, and it takes some time for the preference 20 machine to cycle
> in. They maintain that it is a problem with qmail, and that other mail
> servers handle this more efficiently.

Well... not quite.

Randy tells me the domain in question is statesource.com.

statesource.com.        1h50m30s IN MX  30 mail3.webzone.net.
statesource.com.        1h50m30s IN MX  10 mail.webzone.net.
statesource.com.        1h50m30s IN MX  20 mail2.webzone.net.

mail.webzone.net.       1h51m26s IN A   205.219.23.67

telnet 205.219.23.67
Trying 205.219.23.67...
Connected to 205.219.23.67....

telnet 205.219.23.67 smtp
Trying 205.219.23.67...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

Which implies to me that they're using some service to filter
smtp connections on the primary MX.  Not a smart thing to do.

Something is broken.  Either their packet forwarding or firewall.

--
John White
[EMAIL PROTECTED]