Please make relaying disabled if there is no rcpthosts file :)

--Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: Timothy L. Mayo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Roger O. Svenning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: Tcpserver quiz

:What is in your rcpthosts file?  That is the FIRST point that needs to be
:in place to prevent relaying.  RELAYCLIENT overrides the rcpthosts file,
:it does not replace it.
:
:On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Roger O. Svenning wrote:
:
:> I installed tcpserver for use with qmail 1.03 yesterday so
:> I could allow and restrict relaying. (According to the instrucions in FAQ
5.4)
:> After setting up the tcp.smtp file and rebuilding the cdb, mail relaying
worked
:> ... for everyone :)
:>
:> I tried to just make a test tcp.smtp with the following content
:>
:> 123.12.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
:> :allow
:>
:> After rebuilding I was still able to relay mail trough our server from
whatever host
:> I wanted (I tried from several different shell accounts).
:> Guess I have to put in deny entries too to keep other ppl away but will
they be able to
:> deliver mail to local addresses then ? (I have several virtual domains on
the server),
:> and if this is the case then the FAQ is wrong and should be corrected ...
cause it does
:> not say anything about adding 'deny' entries.
:>
:> Anyway ... I moved pop3 from inetd to tcpserver and it looked like it
worked just perfectly
:> until one customer called and complained about he could not authenticate
on one of their
:> accounts. This customer has 8 accounts belonging to the same virtual
domain and he got
:> 7 of them to work. I tried to access that account from my workstation and
it worked just fine
:> but no matter what he did he could not access that particular account.
:> Then .. just out of the blue sky .. I tried to put his ip into the
tcp.smtp and voila .. he could open
:> that account too ... how is this possible??, that a customer from one
computer can open
:> [EMAIL PROTECTED] but not [EMAIL PROTECTED] .. though if tcpserver had worked
correctly he should not
:> have been able to log in at all.
:>
:> To answer some questions before you ask them:
:> No .. I do not run tcpserver from inetd :) .. it's started trough
rc.local
:> And (again) .. yes I did build the cdb .. over and over again
:>
:> Any suggestions ?
:>
:> Roger O. Svenning
:>
:>
:
:Timothy L. Mayo mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
:Senior Systems Manager http://www.mayod.nb.net/
:The National Business Network Inc.
:localconnect(sm) http://www.nb.net/
: