No such requirement if you download from http://www.postfix.org.

> I've heard lots of people claim Postfix has been "released under a free
> license", but I don't find this to be the case.  If Postfix has been
> released, then its license is non-free.  If the Alphaworks license is
> temporary, then Postfix hasn't made it to the "release" stage.

Hmm, this is from the Postfix license:

        Permission to reproduce and create derivative works from the
        Software ("Software Derivative Works") is hereby granted to you
        under the copyrights of International Business Machines
        Corporation ("IBM").  IBM also grants you the right to
        distribute the Software and Software Derivative Works.

        [...]

        You agree to distribute the Software and any Software
        Derivatives under a license agreement that: 1) is sufficient to
        notify all licensees of the Software and Software Derivatives
        that IBM assumes no liability for any claim that may arise
        regarding the Software or Software Derivatives, and 2) that
        disclaims all warranties, both express and implied, from IBM
        regarding the Software and Software Derivatives.  (If you
        include this Agreement with any distribution of the Software or
        Software Derivatives you will have met this requirement.)  You
        agree that you will not delete any copyright notices in the
        Software.

So what's stopping me from distributing LarsFix with an Artistic License
with the addendum that IBM assumes no etc?

        In the event an intellectual property claim is made or appears
        likely to be made with respect to the Software, you agree to
        permit IBM to enable you to continue to use the Software, or to
        modify it, or replace it with software that is at least functionally
        equivalent.  If IBM determines that none of these alternatives
        is reasonably available, you agree, at IBM's request, upon
        notice to you, to discontinue further distribution of the
        Software and to delete or destroy all copies of the Software you
        possess.  This is IBM's entire obligation to you regarding any
        claim of infringement.

This refers only to the Software, not Software Derivatives as above.

So, while PostFix may have some unpleasant legal strings attached, I
can't really see how this stops anyone from repackaging the entire thing
with a different license.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]