Hello Dave,

> I just sent myself a test message with such characters in the subject
>and qmail didn't complain. Please provide an example bounce message
>demonstrating the problem.

This is a sample error message. I think your XEmacs is a good one and
encodes the Subject MIME compliant.

-------------------------------

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at janus.pks-software.de.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
kaufmann: Message contains non-ASCII characters in headers

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:51:29 +0200
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Juergen Schubert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fär

In this case the Subject contains an illegal character.

Regards
Juergen