On Mon, 10 May 1999, Pavel Korovin wrote:

> Hi!
> I feel big troubles with execution programs from .qmail* files.
> Any stuff after '|' I put in .qmail* files seems to be missed by qmail-local.

It could be either a permission problem or a path problem. Either way,
qmail will log something in your system logs.

If it is a permission problem, then the permissions on the .qmail file
should be 644. If the .qmail file has execute permission AND you are
attempting anything other than a forward to another address, then the
actions will fail. From the dot-qmail manpage:

    If .qmail has the execute bit set, it must not  contain  any
    program lines, mbox lines, or maildir lines.  If qmail-local sees
    any such lines, it will stop and indicate  a  temporary failure.

So if your .qmail file has execute permissions, it can only contain
email addresses.

If this isn't your problem, it might be a PATH problem. If the name of
the executable is NOT fully qualified:

    | blah

then blah MUST be visible in the PATH that was used to start
qmail-start. The PATH of the user recieving the mail is NOT consulted,
ever. Try

    | /the/directory/in/which/blah/lives/blah

Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Consultant                        or at present:
eServ. Pty Ltd                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +61 2 9206 3410                      Fax: +61 2 9281 1301

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"