Chris,
    Look at /var/qmail/lock/trigger    It should be a named pipe with the
following permissions: prw--w--w-  and owned by user:qmails group:qmail
When this file gets changed, it can lead to the symptoms you describe.
-Jere

// Jere Cassidy  -  System Administration - D&E SuperNet
        email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    phone: (717)738-7054
        web: http://www.desupernet.net/jere
        pager/pcs: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - (717)203-0042
~~~ "While sowing the seeds of Utopia,
 you invoked a convenient amnesia" -BR ~~~