Folks,

I have a problem with my qmail system.  We've been running mail for almost a
year now with no major incidents to report.. until now.

Our mail queue started filling up yesterday and mail delivery seemed to have
slowed down to a crawl.. (It took hours to deliver messages.) I see a very
cyclical load average on the machine ranging from .45 to 2.3, up and down
every 2-3 minutes or so.  The mail queue itself (which is usually around
60-80 megabytes large) has grown to 300 megabytes in the past 24 hours.  The
machine itself does not seem to be struggling in any way, but the queue just
will not flush out.  There does not seem to be any (much) spam throughout
the mail queue, and there is no steady stream of large messages from any one
peticular source.

I was hoping that the queue would flush out last night when it was about 250
megabytes, but barely any messages got delivered and it's up to 300 megs
this morning.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening on my mail server?
Thank you everyone for your help!

- Chris

Christopher Porreca
Systems Administrator