On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 05:42:03PM -0500, Chris Johnson wrote:

> > > In those situations in which you're sending big files to someone, you could
> > > point your mail program straight at your ISP's SMTP server (assuming you're
> > > injecting these messages with SMTP).
> > >
> > > Do you have a full-time connection and a static IP address? If so, you might
> > > get some nice person (like your ISP) to accept mail from you by QMQP. They'd
> > > have to install qmail, but it wouldn't interfere with sendmail or whatever
> > > they're using. This would let you supply a single message and as many
> > > recipients as you like, and queue the whole thing remotely.
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >

> > Bingo! Our service provider recently changed hands. Turns out we
> > can get a virtual machine that I can have configuration control over
> > for $5 less a month than we are paying for now, plus get quite a bit
> > more disk space. I'll just set up QMQP there. Cool.
>
> Now that I think of it, QMQP won't give your users the instant gratification
> they're looking for (i.e. not having to wait for the entire message to be
> transferred over the phone line). Since with mini-qmail there's no local queue,
> they're still going to have to wait until the message is queued at the remote
> end of the phone line before their MUA cuts them loose. If you want mail queued
> locally, you're back to where you started.

Admittedly, I do not understand this well, but I thought that the following
happens: when the connection with the ISP is established, the mail gets sent
by the MUA.  The messages are given to qmqp which then connects to the ISPs
qmqpd, and then they get queued at the ISP's box.

So a message with multiple recipients does not get split on the local
machine, and as a single message goes through the serial line.

Mate
--
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis