I've installed qmailanalog on my mail gateway and ran zoverall against
the last 81 days of mail stats. What I came up with leads me to question
how well my machine is working. The hardware is a Sun Enterprise 250
with dual 300MHz UltraSPARC-II's, and 256MB of RAM running Solaris 7.
What I am wondering about is the apparently long processing time for
messages. According to these stats we are processing only ~2722 messages
per day (~1.9 per minute) at ~23K each. Yet the average message queue
time is 527 seconds?! Why would a message sit in the queue for so long
with such a light load? Here's the numbers:

Basic statistics

qtime is the time spent by a message in the queue.

ddelay is the latency for a successful delivery to one recipient---the
end of successful delivery, minus the time when the message was queued.

xdelay is the latency for a delivery attempt---the time when the attempt
finished, minus the time when it started. The average concurrency is the
total xdelay for all deliveries divided by the time span; this is a good
measure of how busy the mailer is.

Completed messages: 222628
Recipients for completed messages: 244706
Total delivery attempts for completed messages: 257266
Average delivery attempts per completed message: 1.15559
Bytes in completed messages: 5139085562
Bytes weighted by success: 5470767758
Average message qtime (s): 526.552

Total delivery attempts: 258538
  success: 234138
  failure: 10575
  deferral: 13825
Total ddelay (s): 22274235.431068
Average ddelay per success (s): 95.132936
Total xdelay (s): 553004.573188
Average xdelay per delivery attempt (s): 2.138968
Time span (days): 81.7779
Average concurrency: 0.0782671

Mark E Drummond                  Royal Military College of Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                              Computing Services
Linux Uber Alles                                      perl || die