I stand by my original statement (or hang).

On a moderately busy (50 messages/minute for ~16 hours per day), there is
a tcpserver process spawned for every incoming connection attempt.  I
usually have 35-40 of these present on the system in addition to the one
started by supervise. Each of these authenticates the IP address the
connection is coming from and then spawns qmail-smtpd.  The tcpserver
process does NOT exit until the qmail-smtpd is finished.

This is on Dec UNIX.

Again, this is expected behavior.  It may depend on the OS though.

Tim Mayo

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Dave Sill wrote:

> "Timothy L. Mayo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, [iso-8859-1] "Günthner, Ralf" wrote:
> >
> >> qmaild     701  0.0  1.2   832   280  p0 S    15:49   0:00 tcpserver -v
> >> -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u33334 -g333 0 25 qmail-smtpd
> >> qmaild     796  0.0  1.2   832   296  p0 S    15:52   0:00 tcpserver -v
> >> -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u33334 -g333 0 25 qmail-smtpd
> >
> >That is expected behavior.  tcpserver spawns another instance of itself to
> >handle the communication for a specific connection request.  (up to the
> >maximum specified by the -c option - default is 40).
>
> But tcpserver doesn't handle the communication, qmail-smtpd does. So
> he should be seeing multiple qmail-smtpds, as needed.
>
> On my systems, I always have exactly one "tcpserver qmail-smtpd"
> process, and as many "qmail-smtpd" processes as there are active SMTP
> connections.
>
> -Dave

Timothy L. Mayo                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Administrator
localconnect(sm)
http://www.localconnect.net/

The National Business Network Inc.      http://www.nb.net/