>On a moderately busy (50 messages/minute for ~16 hours per day), there is
>a tcpserver process spawned for every incoming connection attempt.  I
>usually have 35-40 of these present on the system in addition to the one
>started by supervise. Each of these authenticates the IP address the
>connection is coming from and then spawns qmail-smtpd.  The tcpserver
>process does NOT exit until the qmail-smtpd is finished.

I don't know what tcpserver you're running, but it's not the one
that's part of ucspi-0.84.  It has a single master tcpserver process.
It forks each time it accepts a connection, then the child process
runs the rules and either exec's qmail-smtpd or exits.  The child
should show up as tcpserver only for as long as it takes to do the
authentication, then it changes to qmail-smtpd.  This should be easy
enough to verify -- look at the parent PIDs of the qmail-smtpd
processes and observe that they're all children of the master
tcpserver.  Or read the source code.  It's quite short.

If you have a lot of tcpserver child processes lying around, that
suggests you have a DNS problem and they're stalling and timing out on
some of the lookups.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
[EMAIL PROTECTED], Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,