The qmail analog of creating the sendmail queue files is probably
the qmail-queue interface.  Qmail-queue is simple and easy.

The problem, of course, is that it will pound the daylights out of
the queue's file system.  You can run a couple of dozen queues to
avoid that if you're so inclined. The idea another poster described,
using qmail-remote directly, with qmail-queue for the first-try
failures is a bit interesting.  In case it's not obvious, it avoids
all the overhead of creating any on-disk files for the first-try
successes.

-- Jeff Hayward