I missed the beginning of this thread, so pardon this if it's moot.

But I couldn't help noticing that someone wants to use
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]' as POP authentication ids.

I tried to do this and ran into a serious problem: Netscape Mail chokes on
the "@". It assumes you mistakenly entered your email address when you
really meant to put your POP id. So it converts it to, in your example,
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]', chopping off the '@theirname.domain.com' part.

So we chose to avoid the "@". If my C skills were more proficient or I had
more time, I'd still keep it as "@" internally but hack checkpassword so
that Netscape users only could use an alternate character, such as "%"
(thanks, Paul).

Dave