> From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date:  9 Jun 1999 13:38:21 -0400
>
> >> On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:26:11 -0500,
> >> "Chris Garrigues" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> C> I've got a system on which cron keeps dying.  Would it work to run cron
> C> under supervise?
>
>    Probably, but I'd recommend fixing the root problem by replacing your
>    cron with something more robust.  I had the same problem under
>    Solaris-2.5.1, and replaced the system cron with another version called
>    "dcron":
>    ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/daemons/cron/dcron-2.3.3.tar.gz
>
>    As it turns out, something I did was causing cron to die periodically,
>    but I still like the new one better:
>
>    a. I can schedule jobs to run every 5 minutes starting 3 minutes after
>       the hour by using something like this in the "minutes" field: 3-58/5

I don't need that, but cute nevertheless.

>    b. I use accustamp, tailocal, and cyclog to handle all logging, so I
>       don't have to restart cron just to clean up log files.

So you're saying dcron works with djb's tools?

>    c. It's written very cleanly, and it's smaller than Vixie-cron.

That's a plus.

I've been hoping not to modify the distribution too much since I have to
replicate it, but you're making a pretty good case.  I'll take a look.  Do you
know if it's been RPM'd?

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 virCIO
+1 512 432 4046                 4314 Avenue C                    O-

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

PGP signature