I placed mine in my /etc/rc.local file

I forget the exact line but it was the one listed in the install file
something like:
csh -cf '/var/qmail/rd &'
I THINK that's what it was, you should check.
At any rate, as near as I can tell, /etc/rc.local is where the autostart
things ought to go.

It seems to launch just fine as if I had launched it by hand and passes
TEST.deliver

I have exactly the same system as you, Linux Mandrake.

Where I am having trouble is in getting the SMTP host to work. The step for
commenting out a line in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail

The expected line is not there but a lot of code that seems to build up that
line is there.

I'd also be curious how the version of MUTT that came with Mandrake behaves.
It seems to prefer Mailboxes to Maildirs.

Alex Miller