[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I am a new qmail user running a redhat 5.1 with no shadow password.
>As this is my fisrt try at managing mail, i still have troubles
>understanding how things are kept.
>
>It looks like i am able to recieve and to send mail with one account
>(the one i m using) but i dont understand how to add user.

You don't have to. All normal users can send and receive mail by
default. qmail-users is only necessary when you want to pre-empt
normal delivery to a user.

>The doc says, use qmail-pw2u, this shall read /etc/passwd and create
>a valid /var/qmail/users/assign file.
>
>If i run qmail-pw2u, nothings happens. No error message, i loose hand
>on the shell and it doesnt give it back. I have waited more than 5
>minutes (for a /etc/passwd with no more than 10 user).

It's waiting for input. It reads the password file on standard
input. If you really want to run it, do:

    qmail-pw2u </etc/passwd >/var/qmail/users/assign

>So, i have try to make the assign file by hands, trying to add zonegris.
>Here is what i have tryed in assign,
>=zonegris:zonegris:503:502:/home/zonegris::
>.
>
>But if i try qmail-newu it generate a bad format in assign.
>
>I guess i havent understood what are the 2 fields after the home
>directory.

See:

    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#qmail-users

-Dave