> Question: since, as you say, every competent system administrator needs
> know the syntax of the base networking deamons his system uses, why don't
> you save us idiots some time. The following could be included in the
QMail
> documentation since it is required knowledge.

NO.

Why don't YOU save US some time and read the manuals for your system first?
Why is it OUR responsibility to tell you everything you need to know first?
Do we need to teach you to read?  To type?  To learn how to use your own
system's documentation?  Shouldn't that be YOUR problem?

> "To get the syntax of any system daemon, for example inetd, type "man
inetd"
> at the system prompt.

What if I don't have inetd installed on my system?  That's not such a silly
question anymore, given people's feelings about security and the crappiness
of inetd.  Plenty of people haven't run inetd (myself among them) and there
are systems that ship without inetd.  Not many, sure, but they're out
there.  What if the man pages are screwed up or not installed?

At what point will you stop telling the user the answer and just tell him
that he'll need to know the answer before proceeding?

> Here is a list of the base network system daemons, including firewall
> daemons you need to know the syntax of to install qmail:
>
> 1) inetd

"Firewall daemons" really don't have anything to do with qmail directly,
and inetd isn't necessary for qmail to run.  Also, what happens when you
"need" some daemon on one system but not on another?

> Why don't you fill in the rest Adam. This sounds like a REALLY useful
list,
> that would be useful to anyone on the list. I wish I had such a list
> beforehand. I wish I had such a list now.

That's really great.  I'm glad you think it's useful and that you wish you
had it.  I wish I had a million bucks, but sending emails with wishes isn't
gonna get it done.  If you want that list maybe you should work on it
yourself, although plenty of other people have posted FAQs and checklists
in the past that you might find somehow useful if you bother to look.

shag
=====
Judd Bourgeois        |   CNM Network      +1 (805) 520-7170
Software Architect    |   1900 Los Angeles Avenue, 2nd Floor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Simi Valley, CA 93065
...yours is not the less noble because no drum beats before you when
you go out into your daily battlefields, and no crowds shout about your
coming when you return from your daily victory or defeat.
     --Robert Louis Stevenson