> Shouldn't you first learn something about unix?   You could probably do
> well with unix for dummies (as someone else already pointed out).

I looked at Linux for dummies at one point but didn't find much there I
didn't already know. I'm all for primers in general though.

My current collection:

LINUX in a Nutshell (I use this one a lot)
DNS & BIND (studying it, pretty advanced for me)
Linux Internet Server
Tcl/Tk For Dummies (I've been very impressed with the shear brevity of
TCL/TK programs)
Linux Unleashed (one of the first ones I got, kind of cursory)
Linux System Administration (I've referred to this one a LOT trying to get
QMail installed properly)
Programming Web Graphics with Perl & GNU software (I'm interested in porting
some of this stuff to PHP)
The artists guide to Gimp
Teach Yourself Gimp
Core PHP Programming (my favorite, although I really regret PHP's lack of
internal session handling like Cold Fusion - true it can be handled with
your own database, but wouldn't it be great if it were built in!)
SQL for dummies - an ok primer, when you want some of the commands not
available on Access. I don't understand why Postgres doesn't yet support the
alter table command)
On to Smalltalk (I'd really like to see object-oriented code that isn't an
afterthought)
Sendmail
Samba - Integrating Unix with Windows
Internet - Relay Chat
The Bash System Shell (I bought this one recently because of trying to get
Mutt to work required handling the Environment variables)

Any other books you can think of that are worthwhile, particularly those
that might help with installing QMail.

On this website that I'm making to describe the prerequisites to installing
QMail, for each skill I would like to include man pages, and also book
references that would be helpful.

Alex Miller