On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Richard Letts wrote:

> for years bind allowed '_' in domain names. at one version they 'fixed'
> this and thousands of zone files around the world had to be fixed. Who is
> to say at some point in the future the server won't implement the
> checking.
>
> I guess bind doesn't check for this because it would be quite an expensive
> check to perform, given MX resords are cnames in a zone file don't have to
> refer to other entries in the same zone file. you could end up by
> performing a couple of thousand DNS queries every time a zone file were
> loaded in order to check this.

urgh my fault for posting as soon as I come home from work. the last
paragraph should have read:
Since MX OR CNAME RECORDS in a zone don't have to refer to other entries
in the same zone: you might end up by performing a couple of thousand DNS
queries every time a zone file were loaded in order to check this.

I know CNAME!=MX records.