I tried to install a wrapper around qmail-inject...

It had a call to id, with the output redirected to a file
It also had an echo writing to stdout in it..

It also had exported variables overwriting
QMAILUSER, QMAILNAME, QMAILHOST, QMAILINJECT, QMAILDEFAULTHOST

However when I tried to use pine sending a letter, it did work, however
the received mail did not have any of the fields rewritten.
The file with the redirected output of id did not show up anywhere.
The echo did not show up in the log nor anywhere else.

I also tried exporting the variables in a shell before
starting pine (from the same shell...). That also did not work.

I injected a letter through the wrapper, it did work that way.

What does pine use for sending a letter, and how can I rewrite fields
written by pine?

Robert Varga