On Wed 1999-07-21 (12:09), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm still having very poor performance with that mail list.  Can someone
> please explain to me why qmail doesn't fill the concurrent qmail remote
> processes?  I'm sitting here with 150,000 mails in the queue and
> concurrent remote's are like a 3/75 or 4/75.
>
> Also, can someone explain the preprocessed stage?  This is my qmail-qstat:
>
> messages in queue: 157489
> messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 121433
>
> I need to start pumping this mail out fast.

Sounds like you could benefit from using Russ Nelson's big-todo patch.
See:

  http://www.qmail.org/big-todo.103.patch

According to Russ:

  conf-split needs to be bigger if you have more than 23K distinct
  messages (not addresses) in the queue.  big-todo is needed if you're
  injecting messages faster than qmail-send can process them.

Looks like you fall into both categories. As Dave Sill suggested, you'd
probably be better off building qmail from source using his instructions at:

  http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#installation

Just before doing "2.5.5. Do the build" apply Russ' patch and edit conf-split
changing 23 to 231.

I'd suggest only using rpms once you're comfortable with how qmail works, and
you understand what the rpm author has done is his (or her I suppose :) SPEC
file.

> -jeremy

  - Keith

PS: Russ, please add the "According to Russ:..." as a tip :)
--
Keith Burdis - MSc (Com Sci) - Rhodes University, South Africa
Email   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from a perl script"

Standard disclaimer.
---