I'm still new to qmail myself, but one thing definitely seems wrong to me:

At 3:40 PM -0400 7/27/99, Tony D'Andrade wrote:
>Hi.  I am trying to get [EMAIL PROTECTED] to alias to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>'fred' is a real account on our system.
>
>In:
>       /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
>I have:
>       mydomain.com
>
>In:
>       /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains
>I have:
>       mydomain.com:fred

My understanding is that this causes any mail addressed to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] to be turned into fred-user and delivery will
proceed as normal (local, assign, etc). I would change this to

         mydomain.com:

And the in ~qmail/users/assign I'd include the line

         =info:fred:1000:1000:/usr/home/fred:::

Of course replacing 1000:1000 with the appropriate uid:gid.

HTH,
jon