On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 08:13:34AM +0200, Hennie Rautenbach wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I followed the instructions in the FAQ w.r.t. how to set up a virtual
> domain and have mail forwarded there. I used the "nowhere.mil:bob"
> example. However, the FAQ seems a bit vague about non-local addresses.
>
> I want to have "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" (which doesn't
> exist as local accounts to be forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] respectively.
>
> How do I set up forwarding of  these addresses ?

The "nowhere.mil:bob" in virtualdomains alternative

If you use the "nowhere.mil:bob" in virtualdomains, then all mail is
delivered to the user bob.

This effectively mean that mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] is delivered to
~bob/.qmail-info if it exists, and otherwise to ~bob/.qmail

If you want to forward the mail form "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" to
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]", then put the line

&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

in ~bob/.qmail-info (no leading spaces).

(repeat with help, etc. One .qmail-file for each.)

Other alternatives are:

The "nowhere.mil:alias-nowhere" in virtualdomains alternative
This is better if bob also is a normal user, and he and the system
administrator wants to keep the nowhere.mil mail out of his user
account.

The mail is delivered to the .qmail-files ~alias/.qmail-nowhere-*

This means that mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] is delivered to
~alias/.qmail-nowhere-info

Thus, put the line

&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

into ~alias/.qmail-nowhere-info and you are all set for this forwarding.
(Repeat with help, etc. One .qmail-file for each.)

The forward-all-to-another-domain-alternative
This is when you want to forward <anything>@nowhere.mil to
<anything>@elsewhere.co.za, i.e. when every forward goes to
the same "otherhost".

Put "nowhere.mil:alias-nowhere" into virtualdomains.

Then put this line into ~alias/.qmail-nowhere

| forward ${DEFAULT}@elsewhere.co.za

Now will all mail be forwarded to the domain elsewhere.co.za.
Every username will however be intact.
If you want to override this for just some user, then create an own
.qmail-file for just that alias, e.g. .qmail-nowhere-support, and put
your own forward in there.

The fastforward-alternative
===========================
This is the best alternative for a bigger virtual domain.

Put "nowhere.mil:alias-nowhere" in virtualdomains
and install the fastforward package
<http://www.qmail.org/koobera/www/fastforward.html>.

Then put every alias for nowhere.mil in /etc/aliases
like this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Finally put the line

| fastforward -d /etc/aliases.cdb

in ~alias/.qmail-nowhere

(Compile the aliases file with /var/qmail/bin/newaliases)

--
magnus
        -- MOST useless 1998 * http://x42.com/