> From:  Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:  Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:39:59 -0400 (EDT)
>
> Chris Garrigues writes:
>  > Note the 10.x.x.x addresses...this is clearly all behind a firewall.
>  > Presumably, he has an internal DNS that does have A and PTR records for
>  > qta-ctah3-dev.querytone.com.
>
> That doesn't help me if he contacts my smtp server, and it says "HELO
> hostname doesn't match the forward DNS of the reverse DNS?  You're a
> spammer -- go away".

If your SMTP server gets a packet from a 10.x.x.x address, you won't even be
able to ACK it and he'll never even get a chance to say "HELO hostname".

I'm on a system who's IP address is 10.2.252.1 and who's name is
backstroke.deepeddy.com; when I send mail to you it goes through an
IP-masq firewall and looks to you like it came from a system with a real IP
address and a real hostname.

It's the nature of internal-only addresses.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 virCIO
http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/   http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

PGP signature