Jay D. Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 31 August 1999 at 19:47:44
-0700

 > On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Justin Bell wrote:
 >
 > > OK, so Mail.com and all it's domains have in their infinite wisdon have
 > > decided to blacklist me due to the fact that
 > > http://maps.vix.com/tsi/new-rlytest.cgi?ADDR=iq-ss5.iquest.net
 > >
 > > shows my machine as a possible relay, and because my machine processes
 > > at least 80,000 mailing list recipients per day and they received 472
 > > messages in one hour.
 > >
 > > Any idea on how to make it look secure?
 >
 >      That is something of an sore issue for me, too.  I've manually
 > attempted the relay tests that the rlytest script does and none of them
 > were successful (ones that did appear successful ended in internal bounces
 > with no relaying performed).  However, I think some coding is in order to
 > make it apparent that Qmail *does* pass the 17-point inspection that the
 > rlytest script performs.

Okay, I just tried the URL given above.  Here's what it said about
possibly being vulnerable:

    Relay test 6
    >>> RSET
    <<< 250 flushed
    >>> MAIL FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    <<< 250 ok
    >>> RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    <<< 250 ok

    Relay test result
    Uh oh, host appeared to accept a message for relay.
    The host may reject this message internally, however

What it said is exactly true -- I did accept the message.  And the
very next line points out that this may not be a problem.

If people are actually blacklisting based on this test, of course,
they're idiots, and we need to beat them about the head and
shoulders.
--
David Dyer-Bennet         ***NOTE ADDRESS CHANGES***          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ (photos) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon