Chris McCarthy wrote:

> My company wants to provide users on the internet with a free email
> service ([EMAIL PROTECTED]). We'll be starting off with about
> 3,000 users, potentially growing up to 10,000 in the next 12 months.
>
> How feasible is it to create a passwd/shadow entry for each user,
> providing them with POP/IMAP access ? (or maybe just pop if imap puts
> too much load on the server).

A POP demon is included w/ qmail, but IMAP is an entirely
different story.
Though 10K users can be handled using /etc/passwd without
problems, you
should consider qmail-ldap. It will give you flexibility,
scalability and
ease administration once you're familiar with it.

> With the passwd and shadow files containing so many entries, will the
> password lookups take forever ?
>
> Our current server spec is a PIII 400, 256M, but we'll replace it with a
> high spec server if/when needed.
>
> Does this sound OK, or should we look at buying (or developing)  hotmail
> style software instead ?
>
> Any ideas/comments appreciated,
> ..Chris.

Markus
begin:vcard
n:Storm;Markus
tel;fax:++49 +5241 80-67867
tel;work:++49 +5241 80-7867
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:mediaWays GmbH;NTM-T
adr:;;Postfach 185;Guetersloh;;33311;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:ils.mediaways.net;-20832
fn:Markus Storm