This isn't an answer to the original question - just some thoughts...

How would vchkpw perform in this situation? (http://www.inter7.com/vchkpw/)
Presumably, the vpasswd file would be the bottleneck?  Is it possible to use
vchkpw with a DB of some sort, eg CDB?  Presumably, this would involve
hacking vchkpw appropriately?

R.