"Scott MacDonald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Here is the part from the "Life with Qmail" I got hung up on.
>
>#!/bin/sh
>
># Using stdout for logging
># Using control/defaultdelivery from qmail-local to deliver messages by
>default
>
>exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
>qmail-start "`cat /var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery`" accustamp
>Use your editor to create the above /var/qmail/rc, then execute these
>commands:
>
>    chmod 755 /var/qmail/rc
>    mkdir /var/log/qmail
>
>When I did this, it just hung there.

When you did what? Created the /var/qmail/rc script? Chmod'd it?
Mkdir'd /var/log/qmail?

>It tried to execute it, and wouldn't
>give me a prompt back untill I ctrl-c 'd it. I even got up and left it there
>for over 5 min, and it was still hung.

When a command seems to hang:

1) Open another window and run top. Is it using lots of CPU? If so,
   skip to step 3.

2) Hit Control-D. Did anything happen? If so, the command was waiting
   for input. Figure out why (script typo or usage error).

3) Hit Control-C. Run the command again using trace/strace/truss/par.
   The resulting system call trace should provide useful debugging
   information.

>Then I downloaded the script in the
>next section and tried to start the other part of qmail. I got the script
>from the webpage link at:
>
>http://Web.InfoAve.net/~dsill/qmail-script.txt.
>
>I made it excecutible, and tried to run it. It gave me an error, "Cannot
>find file or directory". But the script was there? It was the weirdest
>thing.

1) Always provide exact copies of error messages. Paraphrases are
   usually useless.

2) When a script provides such an error, the cause is usually due to a
   ``shebang'' error, i.e., the first line of the script points to a
   command that's supposed to run the script. If that command doesn't
   exist, well, the script can't run. Look at the first line of your
   qmail script. It should say "#!/bin/sh", your system should have a
   file named /bin/sh, and it should be executable.

>So then I went for the heck of it to the /var/qmail/bin/ and tried the
>qmail-start, and that gave the same, "cannot find file or directory"
>error."

Did you do "qmail-start" or "./qmail-start"?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE cut and paste your commands and error messages!
Or use the "script" command if you aren't using X.

-Dave