Petr Novotny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> And you said that the copyright law is the same all over the world:

*Mostly*.  There are differences, particularly in the areas of exceptions
for particular types of works, and I think the US law is considerably more
complicated in the area of audio recordings.

> The Czech copyright law explicitely permits to make modifications for
> your own use, and even you're allowed to as much reverse engineering as
> you need to keep the software doing what you bought it for (my wording
> is inexact).

That sounds like a much saner approach.

> On the other hand, the Czech law assumes that a program is essentially a
> book. Plus, it pretty much forbids free software by stating that the
> author must be paid for the copyright...

That, on the other hand... *wry grin*

> But the bottom line is: The licence for qmail may or may not hold.  It's
> not as straightforward as many other licences are.

Yup.  Exactly.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>